Food and Nutrition program data is now self-service 24/7
Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) has joined multiple state and local governments in adding their most commonly requested data to the Texas Open Data Portal for public access.
What data is available?
Sponsors and sites participating in federal funded nutrition assistance programs provide TDA with information for program application and meal reimbursement using the Texas Unified Nutrition Program System (TX-UNPS). Data published to the Open Data Portal is extracted from this system and published by program, for program years 2015-2016 to present.
Programs administered by the TDA's Food and Nutrition division include School Nutrition Programs (SNP) such as the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, and Special Milk Program, Child and Adult Care Food Programs (CACFP) that support Adult Day Care, Child Care Centers, and Day Care Homes, and summer meal programs such as the Seamless Summer Option and Summer Food Service programs.
- Contact and Program Participation data: TDA collects data from Contracting Entity (CE) sponsors and point-of-service Sites during the application process including who is participating in meal programs, where they are located, who is sponsoring them, and how to get in touch with them.
- Claims data: TDA collects data from participants during the claims process including how many eligible meals were served in a claim month, what type of meals were served, total and eligibility enrollments, and how much participants were reimbursed for those meals.
- Food Service Management Company (FSMC) data: TDA collects data from CE sponsors participating in School Nutrition Programs about Food Service Management Companies they may contract with. Published data is currently available for School Nutrition Program participants for the active program year only
A detailed list of TDA Food and Nutrition datasets and data fields available on the Texas Open Data Portal can be downloaded as a PDF here.
How current is the data?
- Contact and Program Participation data: Applicants submit information to TDA every year during the application period. This data is updated on the Open Data Portal quarterly (every three months) for the active program year to capture mid-year changes and the data represents any applicant that has ever been approved to participate for the program year.
- Claims data: Participants submit information to TDA every month in order to claim for reimbursement for serving program-eligible meals. Claims must be submitted within 60 days from the end of the claim month. This data is updated on the Open Data Portal monthly for the active program year and represents the most updated claim information for participants submitting a claim.
- Food Service Management Company (FMSC) data: The school nutrition program year beings July 1, at which time any contracts between School Nutrition Program CE sponsors and FMSCs have been finalized. This data is updated on the Open Data Portal annually and is published for the active program year only.
- Data for program years that have closed are updated at six months and one year after the close of the active program period and then remain static but published on the Open Data Portal.
How to find data
Each program has a TDA Data Overview page that summarizes the type of data available in each dataset and provides direct links to TDA dataset home pages by program year.
- School Nutrition Program (SNP) - National School Lunch (NSLP), School Breakfast Program (SBP), Special Milk Program (SMP)
- Food Service Management Company (FSMC) information for School Nutrition Program participants.
- Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) - divided into two major categories: Day Care Homes and CACFP Centers. CACFP Centers include Adult Care Centers, Child Care Centers, At-Risk sites, Emergency Shelters, Head Start sites, and sites that provide meals Outside School Hours.
- Summer meal programs - Seamless Summer Option (SSO) and Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
A detailed list of TDA Food and Nutrition datasets and data fields available on the Texas Open Data Portal can be downloaded as a PDF here, or keep scrolling for a visual summary of data available.